Monday, September 6, 2010

Let the Autumn Festivities Begin!

Today is the last day of summer vacation here in these parts. Tomorrow school starts, and I must admit I am a little sad that I won't have a classroom of children to teach. I keep looking through the ads in the newspaper and drooling over school supplies. This time of year causes me to dream about bouquets of newly sharpened pencils, fresh notebooks waiting to be filled, and minds ready to be written on with new information. I am definitely wired to be a teacher, but I am taking this year off, as God seems to be leading a different way this year. Despite not being in the classroom, I am looking forward to the Autumn season here in Medford. As I thought about it this week, I realized that I have not been here in autumn since 2004- 6 years ago! There are so many things to look forward to....raking leaves, husking corn, high school football games, pumpkin pie, pumpkin bread, pumpkin spice lattes, pumpkin EVERYTHING, hot tea every morning, sweaters and comfy jeans, dancing in the rain, and day after Thanksgiving shopping with Mom!!! I plan to make the most of this season :)

This week is the kickoff-the first football game happened on Friday (and South won!), Saturday I had my first pumpkin spice latte, and yesterday I husked corn :)

I think one of the reasons that autumn/fall is such a great season is because it signals a fresh start of sorts. The beginning of the school year offers a new hope and eagerness for learning, making new friends, buying new clothes, and creating new memories. Even though I am not in a classroom this season I am looking forward to learning many things this year and creating some great memories. Learning doesn't just take place in the classroom (in fact most learning takes place outside the classroom) and as a lifelong learner I find joy in discovering the creativity and goodness of my God as I learn more about this world He created. I hope all you out there in bloggerland will join me in learning and making some great new memories this season. Let the autumn festivities begin!

1 comment:

Liz-Dennis said...

I wanted you to know that I still read your posts and follow you as you write. It was good to see your face, even though I wish I could have seen you in person in the City. All hope is not lost in this endeavor, however--and perhaps next time. Love,
Mrs. Fledderjohann